Tuesday we decided to take a day trip while we waited for Dallon to fly in.
Mom near the bay in Seward. The day we arrived the sun went down at 4:30 but it did not get dark until 6:00. One week later the sun goes down at 5:00 and it is light until 6:45. At this latitude the day is lengthened by 8 minutes per day. One week is 40 minutes. This is a strange place.
We met Virgil Johnson, owner of IRBI Knives. IRBI stands for I'd Rather Be Independent. He is a knife maker living in Moose Knee, on the way to Seward. We got a nice tour of his shop and visited with him for several minutes. He has a lot of cool "man" stuff. He is holding a small walrus skull with ivory tusks.
The object with my hand on it is walrus ivory. It is petrified. It was originally used as a dog sled runner. It is difficult to see in this photo. One might ask, "why would they make a sled runner out of expensive walrus ivory?" The answer is because they couldn't eat it.
2 comments:
Way awesome. Thanks for posting. Oh how I miss Alaska and all it's quirks. Someday I'll get to go back. Looks like Uncle B had fun in the "man stuff" store. LOL.
I love those cloudy mountain pictures. Such a pretty place.
So Dad is blogging now??
Post a Comment